- Faculty apply to teach sections of 20 students. Faculty who teach inquiry sections are eligible to receive an additional stipend ($1,000 for the year).
- The faculty member introduces the students to his or her subject area and scholarship.
- Students are introduced to hypothesis generation and problem-framing in the field, as well as tools in that discipline.
- Students complete a group project.
Examples of Inquiry-based First-Year Experience Course Titles:
- Exploring Self-Expression via Freedom of Speech
- Conducting Business-Focused Empirical Research
- The Scientific Method Applied: What we learn from (Mis)translations in the Popular Press
- Scholarship of Game Playing
- Working with an Inter-Professional Team
Applications for teaching inquiry-based First-Year Experience courses are accepted in the spring for the following fall through Engage UT.